Dealing with a clogged drain can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience. At Nautilus Plumbing, we understand the importance of maintaining a properly functioning plumbing system.
In this blog post, we will discuss the top five drain clogging culprits and provide some tips on how to prevent them from causing problems in your home.
1. Grease, Fat, and Oil
Grease, fat, and oil are some of the most common causes of clogged drains. When these substances cool down, they solidify and stick to the sides of your pipes, eventually causing blockages.
To prevent this from happening, you should never pour grease, fat, or oil down your drains. Instead, collect them in a container and dispose of them in the trash.
2. Hair and Soap Scum
Hair and soap scum are also common culprits for clogged drains, especially in the bathroom. When hair and soap scum combine, they can form a sticky, tangled mess that is difficult to remove.
To prevent hair and soap scum from clogging your drains, you can:
- Install a drain cover or hair catcher in your shower and bathtub drains
- Regularly clean your drain covers and hair catchers
- Brush your hair before showering to remove loose strands
3. Food Scraps and Coffee Grounds
Food scraps and coffee grounds are another common cause of clogged drains, particularly in the kitchen sink. Even if you have a garbage disposal, certain food items can still cause problems.
To prevent food scraps and coffee grounds from clogging your drains, you should:
- Scrape food scraps into the trash before washing dishes
- Never put coffee grounds down the drain or garbage disposal
- Consider installing a sink strainer to catch any remaining food particles
4. Flushable Wipes and Feminine Products
Although some products are labeled as "flushable," they can still cause problems for your plumbing system. Flushable wipes and feminine products can take a long time to break down, leading to clogs and other issues. To prevent these items from causing problems, you should always dispose of them in the trash instead of flushing them down the toilet.
5. Tree Roots
Tree roots can be a major cause of drain clogs, especially in older homes with clay or cast iron pipes. Roots can infiltrate your pipes, causing blockages and even damaging the pipes themselves.
To prevent tree root issues, you can:
- Be aware of the location of your sewer line and avoid planting trees too close to it
- Regularly inspect your pipes for signs of root intrusion
- Contact a professional plumber to address any root issues before they become more serious
Call the Team at Nautilus Plumbing Now!
At Nautilus Plumbing, we are committed to helping you maintain a properly functioning plumbing system. By being aware of the common causes of clogged drains and taking steps to prevent them, you can avoid the hassle and expense of dealing with plumbing issues. If you do experience a clogged drain or other plumbing problem, our experienced team is here to help.
Contact us today to learn more about our drain cleaning services and other plumbing solutions!